Current:Home > MyBahrain rights group says 13 convicted over prison sit-in that authorities say was violent -DataFinance
Bahrain rights group says 13 convicted over prison sit-in that authorities say was violent
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 16:43:44
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Bahrain has sentenced 13 prisoners to an additional three years over a sit-in held in a detention facility in 2021 that prison authorities say was violent.
The Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy said Wednesday that the convictions issued the day before stemmed from a mass trial of 65 defendants, the rest of whom were acquitted. It alleged “severe due process violations, including the right to attend the trial, or meeting with the lawyer.”
It also publicized what it said were firsthand accounts given to the public prosecution in which the prisoners said they were beaten with metal objects and tear-gas cannisters.
Bahrain’s prison authority denied the allegations, saying prisoners’ legal rights are guaranteed and that any allegations of mistreatment are thoroughly investigated. It said inmates taking part in the sit-in had attacked and injured guards, and damaged public property.
Bahrain launched a heavy crackdown on dissent in response to mass protests in 2011 calling for the overthrow of its monarchy. The tiny island nation in the Persian Gulf has a Shiite majority but is ruled by a Sunni monarchy that is closely allied with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which helped crush the revolt.
Dozens of prisoners being held in the Jaw Rehabilitation and Reform Center staged a sit-in in April 2021 after an inmate died, allegedly from being denied medical care. The Bahrain Institute says special forces and officers used “excessive force” against the prisoners and tortured many of them. Some were held incommunicado for up to 36 days, it said.
“This mass trial demonstrates a core problem in Bahrain’s corrupt judicial system, where prisoners of state violence and victims of torture are condemned while torturers avoid any accountability,” Sayed Ahmed AlWadaei, director of advocacy for the institute, said in a statement.
Bahrain’s General Directorate of Reform and Rehabilitation denied the sit-in was peaceful, calling it a “pre-meditated violent attempt by a small but well-organized group of inmates to disrupt the facility’s operations.” It said the prisoners had blocked corridors and disrupted services by “violent means.”
“The facility’s staff took proportionate measures, in line with prison policy, that were necessary to protect staff and inmates and to ensure the continued delivery of essential services, namely healthcare for inmates,” it said in a statement.
Inmates at the same facility recently held a monthlong hunger strike to protest their conditions. They suspended the strike earlier this month after prison authorities promised to limit isolation, expand visitor rights, extend the hours of daylight and improve health care.
Bahrain is a close Western ally that hosts the U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet. It was also one of four Arab nations that normalized diplomatic relations with Israel in the so-called Abraham Accords negotiated by the Trump administration in 2020.
veryGood! (19544)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- NYC couple finds safe containing almost $100,000 while magnet fishing in muddy Queens pond
- Ex-husband of ‘Real Housewives’ star convicted of hiring mobster to assault her boyfriend
- Amanda Knox reconvicted of slander in Italy for accusing innocent man in roommate’s 2007 murder
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Big GOP funders sending millions into Missouri’s attorney general primary
- Ohio and Pennsylvania Residents Affected by the East Palestine Train Derailment Say Their ‘Basic Needs’ Are Still Not Being Met
- Jason Sudeikis asked Travis Kelce about making Taylor Swift 'an honest woman.' We need to talk about it
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Watch Live: Attorney general, FBI director face Congress amid rising political and international tensions
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Student pilot attempted solo cross-country flight before crashing into a Connecticut campground
- First-in-the-Nation Geothermal Heating and Cooling System Comes to Massachusetts
- Maine company plans to launch small satellites starting in 2025
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Alec and Hilaria Baldwin to Star in Reality Show With Their 7 Kids
- Video and images show intercontinental ballistic missile test launched from California
- Rodeo star Spencer Wright's 3-year-old son Levi dies after driving toy tractor into river
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Women’s College World Series final: What to know, how to watch Oklahoma vs. Texas
U.S. soldier-turned-foreign fighter faces charges in Florida double murder after extradition from Ukraine
Rodeo star Spencer Wright's 3-year-old son Levi dies after driving toy tractor into river
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Geno Auriemma signs 5-year extension to continue run as UConn women's basketball coach
Is Google News down? Hundreds of users report outage Friday morning
Mom of slain US airman calls for fired Florida deputy who shot her son to be charged