Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:The family of Irvo Otieno criticizes move to withdraw murder charges for now against 5 deputies -DataFinance
Johnathan Walker:The family of Irvo Otieno criticizes move to withdraw murder charges for now against 5 deputies
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 13:53:56
A Virginia judge has signed off on Johnathan Walkera prosecutor’s request to withdraw charges against five more people in connection with the 2023 death of Irvo Otieno, a young man who was pinned to the floor for about 11 minutes while being admitted to a state psychiatric hospital.
Judge Joseph Teefy of Dinwiddie Circuit Court on Sunday approved the prosecutor’s motion to nolle prosequi — or effectively drop for now — the case against five sheriff’s deputies, according to court records. The prosecutor could still seek to renew the charges, attorneys involved with the matter said.
The move means prosecutions are now actively pending for just three of the 10 Henrico County deputies and Central State Hospital workers initially charged with second-degree murder in Otieno’s death, which was captured on video that sparked outrage and calls for mental health and law enforcement reforms.
Otieno, a 28-year-old Black man, had been taken into custody in suburban Richmond amid a mental health crisis. He was initially transported to a private hospital but later jailed after law enforcement officials said he became combative. Later, he was transferred to the state mental health hospital south of Richmond, where he died in March 2023 of what a medical examiner found was “positional and mechanical asphyxia with restraints.”
Hospital video captured a scrum of deputies and hospital workers restraining Otieno while he was in handcuffs and leg shackles.
Otieno’s mother and her attorneys, who spoke at a news conference Monday, said they disagreed strongly with the prosecutor’s action. But they also said the prosecutor had assured them the decision had been made for strategic reasons and that she planned to renew pursuit of the charges.
Caroline Ouko, Otieno’s mother, called the move a “radical, reckless decision with great ramifications.”
“We demand justice and nothing less,” she said, renewing her long-running call for the U.S. Department of Justice to get involved in the case.
The prosecutor, Dinwiddie County Commonwealth’s Attorney Amanda Mann, did not respond to questions from The Associated Press. She said in a news release that her motions to nolle prosequi the charges speak for themselves and she would have no further comment.
In those motions, Mann wrote that her predecessor, an interim commonwealth’s attorney, had scheduled the order of the defendants’ trials. The timing of the trials is of strategic importance, Mann wrote in each individual’s motion, adding that she did not “find the order to be sound and competent prosecutorial decision making.”
Russ Stone, a defense attorney for one of the five deputies, Dwayne Bramble, said Mann could elect to pursue the charges again. But he said such a development would be “extremely rare.”
“It’s been our position all along that it was prosecutorial overreach” by the first commonwealth’s attorney on the case, who “charged innocent people without an adequate basis,” Stone said.
“And we appreciate the fact that the current commonwealth’s attorney has corrected that,” he said.
Defense attorneys for the other individuals — Jermaine Branch, Randy Boyer, Bradley Disse and Tabitha Levere — did not respond to phone messages seeking comment.
The prosecutor who initially handled the case — and has since left the job — dropped criminal charges against two hospital employees last June.
The two deputies and one hospital worker with active cases have jury trials scheduled for October and December, according to online court records.
In a separate civil case, Otieno’s family reached an $8.5 million settlement with the state, county and sheriff’s department whose deputies helped restrain him.
veryGood! (74511)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Chevron takeaways: Supreme Court ruling removes frequently used tool from federal regulators
- Bachelorette Becca Kufrin Reveals Why She and Thomas Jacobs Haven't Yet Had a Wedding
- 'The Bear' Season 3 finale: Is masterful chef Carmy finally cooked?
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- MLB trade deadline: Top 18 candidates to be dealt as rumors swirl around big names
- Video shows a meteotsunami slamming Lake Michigan amid days of severe weather. Here's what to know.
- Takeaways: How Trump’s possible VP pick shifted on LGBTQ+ issues as his presidential bid neared
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Martin Mull, hip comic and actor from ‘Fernwood Tonight’ and ‘Roseanne,’ dies at 80
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- 8-year-old dies after being left in hot car by mother, North Carolina police say
- 8 homeless moms in San Francisco struggled for help. Now, they’re learning to advocate for others
- Russian satellite breaks up, sends nearly 200 pieces of space debris into orbit
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Sex Lives of College Girls’ Pauline Chalamet Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby
- Virginia House repeals eligibility restrictions to veteran tuition benefits
- Sleeping on public property can be a crime if you're homeless, Supreme Court says
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Revamp Your Space with Wayfair's 4th of July Sale: Up to 86% Off Home Organization, Decor, and More
Supreme Court allows camping bans targeting homeless encampments
In Georgia, conservatives seek to have voters removed from rolls without official challenges
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Doug Burgum vetoed anti-LGBTQ measures while governor. Then he started running for president
Travis Kelce Has Enchanting Reaction to Taylor Swift Cardboard Cutout at London Bar He Visited
Martin Mull, hip comic and actor from ‘Fernwood Tonight’ and ‘Roseanne,’ dies at 80