Current:Home > MyDefendant in Michigan fake elector case seeks dismissal of charges over attorney general’s comments -DataFinance
Defendant in Michigan fake elector case seeks dismissal of charges over attorney general’s comments
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:17:22
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — One of 16 Michigan Republicans accused of taking part in a fake elector scheme filed a motion Tuesday asking a judge to dismiss charges after the state attorney general said the group had been “brainwashed” and truly believed that former President Donald Trump won the 2020 election.
All 16 are facing eight criminal charges, including forgery and conspiracy to commit election forgery, that were first announced in July by state Attorney General Dana Nessel. Investigators allege that they met following the 2020 election and signed a document falsely stating they were Michigan’s “duly elected and qualified electors.”
President Joe Biden won the state by nearly 155,000 votes, a result that was confirmed by a GOP-led state Senate investigation in 2021. Michigan is one of seven states where false Electoral College certificates were submitted declaring Trump the winner, despite confirmed results showing he had lost.
On Sept. 18, Nessel, a Democrat, told a liberal group during a virtual event that the false electors had been “brainwashed” and “genuinely” believed Trump won in Michigan’.
“They legit believe that,” Nessel said, according to the video first reported by The Detroit News.
Nessel also said that Ingham County, where the cases will be tried, “is a very, very Democratic-leaning county.”
An attorney for one of the accused fake electors, Mari-Ann Henry, 65, said those comments “nullify the government’s entire case” and the charges should be thrown out.
George MacAvoy Brown, an attorney for Henry, said in a statement that the charges require proof that Henry “intended to cheat or deceive someone” and that Nessel’s comments show that wasn’t the case.
The motion for dismissal was filed in Ingham County District Court.
Danny Wimmer, a spokesperson for Nessel’s office, said in response to a request for comment that the office “will respond to the motion in our filings with the Court.”
Attorneys for others charged in the case have also been critical of Nessel’s comments. Nick Somberg, who represents former Michigan GOP co-chair Meshawn Maddock, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that they prove the charges hold “no merit” and that this is a “political case.”
In a separate court filing obtained by AP, another defendant, Amy Facchinello, claims that the charges stem from conduct that came “at the direction” of then-President Trump and other federal officers.
All 16 of the defendants have pleaded not guilty. Henry and several others, including Maddock and Kathy Berden, Michigan’s Republican national committeewoman, are scheduled to appear for a preliminary examination hearing on Oct. 12.
veryGood! (75)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Jerry Seinfeld's comedy show interrupted by pro-Palestinian protesters after Duke walkouts
- State Department issues worldwide alert, warns of violence against LGBTQ community
- Psst! Target Just Dropped New Stanley Cup Summer Shades & You Need Them in Your Collection ASAP
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- What time is 'American Idol' finale tonight? Top 3 contestants, guests, where to watch
- Wolves reach conference finals brimming with talent and tenacity in quest for first NBA championship
- Mayoral candidate, young girl among 6 people shot dead at campaign rally in Mexico
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- CNN Commentator Alice Stewart Dead at 58
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Whoopi Goldberg reflects on family, career in new memoir Bits and Pieces
- Bodies of three hostages, including Shani Louk, recovered by Israeli forces in Gaza, officials say
- Is iMessage not working? Thousands of users report Apple service down Thursday afternoon
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Bernie Sanders to deliver University of New England graduation speech: How to watch
- Israeli War Cabinet member says he'll quit government June 8 unless new war plan is adopted
- 17-year-old girl sex trafficked from Mexico to US is rescued after texting 911 for help
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
How the Dow Jones all-time high compares to stock market leaps throughout history
How to reverse image search: Use Google Lens to find related photos, more information
Cassie's Lawyer Responds After Sean Diddy Combs' Breaks Silence on 2016 Assault Video
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Fast-growing wildfire has shut down a portion of the Tonto National Forest in Arizona
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Mach 3
Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr. thinks Jackson Holliday may have needed more time in the minors