Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in juvenile court in beating death of classmate: Reports -DataFinance
SafeX Pro:4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in juvenile court in beating death of classmate: Reports
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 16:31:09
Four Las Vegas teenagers pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in juvenile court for beating their classmate to death,SafeX Pro according to news reports.
Jonathan Lewis Jr., 17, died days after he was kicked, punched and stomped on in an alley near Rancho High School on Nov. 1, police said at the time. Video of the beating was posted online and widely shared. Police said 10 teens were involved and arrested at least eight teenagers between the ages of 13 and 17 last year.
Students, including Jonathan, met in the alley to fight over "stolen wireless headphones and, possibly, a stolen marijuana vape pen," Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Lt. Jason Johansson said at the time. A homicide detective who testified in a grand jury hearing said that video of the attack showed that Jonathan threw a punch at one of the students before being swarmed by the group, the Associated Press reported.
The teens, whom USA TODAY has not named because they were all minors at the time they were charged, were previously charged with murder as adults.
"The matter was rightfully returned to Juvenile court where sentencing matters are confidential," defense attorney Karen Connolly said in an emailed statement.
Connolly represents one of the teens who "deeply regrets his involvement in the fight that led to Jonathan’s tragic death." The teen was was "not a major participant" in the killing, according to the statement.
They pleaded guilty in juvenile court on Tuesday as part of a deal to keep them from being tried as adults, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported. The deal required all four to plead guilty, or they would all again face charges as adults, the outlet reported. They all face an undetermined length of time in juvenile detention. Minors in juvenile detention to not receive specific sentences but are released after they complete rehabilitation programs, said Brigid Duffy, the director of the Clark County district attorney’s office’s juvenile division.
Mellisa Ready, Jonathan's mother, told the Review-Journal that she opposed the plea deal and wanted stronger penalties for the teenagers.
"There’s literally no one being held accountable with true punishment for my son’s murder,” she said. "It's disgusting."
The district attorney's office did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Wednesday. USA TODAY has also reached out to Jonathan's father.
Police said at the time that it was Jonathan's friend who had the items stolen, but Jonathan fought on behalf of his friend.
"That's just the kind of person he was," his father, Jonathan Lewis Sr., told USA TODAY in November. He said his son was an avid hip-hop fan who also liked to make digital art.
Contributing: Christopher Cann, USA TODAY
veryGood! (37)
prev:Travis Hunter, the 2
next:Travis Hunter, the 2
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Roger Federer understands why there are questions about US Open top seed Jannik Sinner’s doping case
- NASA says 'pulsing sound' inside Boeing Starliner has stopped, won't impact slated return
- Why quercetin is good for you and how to get it in your diet
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- People are getting Botox in their necks to unlock a new bodily function: burping
- NASA says 'pulsing sound' inside Boeing Starliner has stopped, won't impact slated return
- Trump says he will vote against Florida's abortion rights ballot amendment | The Excerpt
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Jewel supports Chappell Roan's harassment comments: 'I've had hundreds of stalkers'
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- 2024 US Open: Here’s how to watch on TV, betting odds and more you should know
- Meet the Hunter RMV Sherpa X-Line, the 'affordable' off-road RV camper
- On Labor Day, think of the children working graveyard shifts right under our noses
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Southeast South Dakota surges ahead of Black Hills in tourism revenue
- Chase Stokes Teases How He and Kelsea Ballerini Are Celebrating Their Joint Birthday
- Browns sign 20-year stadium rights deal with Huntington Bank as they position for possible new home
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Sheryl Swoopes fires back at Nancy Lieberman in Caitlin Clark dispute
Trans-Siberian Orchestra reveals 2024 dates for The Lost Christmas Eve tour
Southeast South Dakota surges ahead of Black Hills in tourism revenue
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
The presidential campaigns brace for an intense sprint to Election Day
Florida's Billy Napier dismisses criticism from 'some guy in his basement'
US reports 28th death caused by exploding Takata air bag inflators that can spew shrapnel